Flowers and plants will never go out of style and are always a safe choice as a sympathy gift. But these days, there are so many more options if you want to give something unique. It's nice to think about something that will bring lasting joy to someone who is grieving. Whether you are looking for sympathy gifts for men or women, there are a lot of beautiful options that will help keep memories alive.
Sympathy Gift Ideas for Loss of Father or Mother:
A gift for someone who lost a parent should be something to help spark beautiful memories. A lasting gift from glassybaby is the perfect way to let someone know you're thinking of them. These artisan hand-blown glass votives come with meaningful names and sayings, such as mom, dad, angel, cherish, strength, faith, and forever. The gift recipient can light candles anytime to honor a beloved parent and enjoy indulging in memories. Each purchase also goes toward a foundation that gives to a multitude of causes that help people, animals, and the planet.
If you need a gift for someone whose mother died, consider a beautiful leather journal. You can check websites like Etsy for customized options. Add a handwritten note encouraging the griever to use the journal as a place to write cherished memories about mom.
Here are some other unique sympathy gift ideas for anyone:
- Gather photos and use a website like Shutterfly or Snapfish to create a photo memory book as a beautiful sympathy gift. You might even be able to gather some interesting pictures from the funeral photo display to add.
- Memorial wind chimes are a unique way to keep a loved one's memory close. These chimes can be engraved with a special message, such as "listen to the wind and know that I am near."
- Make a donation to a cause that is close to the heart of the person who passed. A card can be sent to the griever to let them know the donation was made in memory of their loved one.
- A memorial Christmas tree ornament is a nice way to keep the memory of a loved alive at the holidays.
- Sympathy gift baskets can come in a variety of forms and be a lovely gift for anyone. A fruit basket is a practical way to let someone know you're thinking of them. Perhaps a spa gift basket with a note to remind your friend that even in this difficult time, they need to take time for themselves.
- There are many wonderful books that make great sympathy gifts. "Notes on Grief" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie or "The Book of Comforts: Genuine Encouragement for Hard Times" by Kaitlin Wernet are just two of many options.
- A gift card to a delivery service like Door Dash or Uber Eats is a nice gift. Going through a difficult time and planning a funeral is not only emotionally taxing, but it is also time-consuming. Your friend or family member will appreciate an easy dinner provided by you.
- Instead of the usual flower arrangement, consider a tree that can be planted and last much longer. Seeds of Life provides a lot of memorial tree options that are beautifully packaged and ready for giving. If you're not sure what exactly they'd like, you can purchase a gift card and let them choose their own tree.
Perhaps your friend or family member needs more than a tangible gift. You can offer your time to help with chores such as preparing a home to sell or packing things that belonged to a loved one. These are difficult things to do for anyone, especially alone. You could also offer to help find grief programs or counseling if your friend or family member needs extra support to get through this tough time.
No matter what you decide to give - your time or a gift - it will be appreciated and remembered. It's hard to know what to do for a friend or family member when they're grieving, but Shields Professional Vehicles is committed to being part of the process to help you honor loved ones who are no longer with us.